(This creation is now integrated in the Factory of MBC with minor tweaks.)
Do you guys really play survival a lot? I'm not sure, but I do; I play in the latest version, I do some redstone, I make compact contraptions, and I share them so you can paste them everywhere and have fun :D. All that was mentioned comes into this hybrid marvel of redstone machinery under the latest nether update!
- It is a stone generator. Not cobblestone, but if you mine with pickaxes without 'silk touch'.
- It is a basalt generator. Something new, fancy blocks.
- It is BOTH!! You can easily switch between them with only 2 levers.
- Basalt generates about 3x speed than stone.
- It is incredibly compact! The truth is it sacrifices some speed (almost halved on stone, very little on basalt) for having a 2 in 1 generator of such size with a very tricky redstone circuitry.
- Good news is, it is expandable, so you can make it an infinite long one with minor signal extensions, if you eager for stones.
(Basalt is a type of stone, I guess?)
- And I even considered a bit of aesthetics, like there is no visible lava or redstone on the front and so on.
This might be the very 1st creation of its kind I have found. It looks simple, but not that easy for a hybrid one. Making a cobblestone/basalt generator is indeed way straightforward and faster in speed, and a cobblestone/stone one comes simply by replacing all soul soil with anything else. I've almost finished a triple one, but I'm not gonna continue cause it is not compact and we can mine stone to get cobblestone anyway; it doesn't sound that stupid.
Actually I'm still a bit unsatisfied about using too many observers, not only because they are pretty expensive in survival (if you build it instead of paste it), but also some people specifically hate observers for thinking them as a hack in MC; they do make things compact however, and I feel fine. Maybe my creation is not for everyone, but I'd say please try it if you really need both some stone and basalt and you just don't have too much space for 2 generators.
Version required: 1.16+
How to import by structure blocks (in vanilla MC):
- Please LOAD IT 2 TIMES!! by a structure block when everything stills or you will see it broken.
- I believe it is fine if you load it by WorldEdit (after forge comes out) and without the glitch I have mentioned.
- Please READ↑ and do follow my instructions, then enjoy the game!
How to use:
- Top lever off = stone
- Bottom lever off = basalt
- Both levers on = halt (default setup)
- Both levers off = NEVER, it breaks. Switch 1 off once at a time.
- Be sure to mine later, though it is fine if you forget. You may need this if you like a complete automation.
- There is always a 1 row residue of stone / basalt when you turn or switch the levers.
- This contraption is kinda robust, but still if you mess up with the levers (both off, or switching too fast), you may encounter some unexpected stone generation patterns, maybe like a striped one, or a mosiac one. THAT MIGHT BE EVEN MORE INTERESTING!
~ I'm currently working on a printer project derived from this and I think you are getting that idea XD. Maybe you'll make something better than mine, if you are interested, and I'll be fascinated.
~ Please endorse if you like it and have fun!